Jagr earns player of the week honors
Monday September 21st 2009, 11:55 pm
Photo: Avangard Omsk

Photo: Avangard Omsk

Jaromir Jagr kicked off his second season in Siberia with four points in his first three games to earn forward of the week honors in the KHL for last week.  Jagr picked up a hat trick against Dinamo Riga on Monday and added an assist on Wednesday against Dynamo Minsk, finishing the week a +2.

Yaroslavl Lokomotiv’s Alexander Guskov (2 assists, +5) was named top defenseman for the week, Ilya Proskuryakov of Metallurg Magnitogorsk (.987 save percentage, two shutouts) got the nod as best goaltender, and Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk’s Nikolai Belov (1 goal, +5) earned top rookie honors.

In other KHL news, Anton Babchuk participated in his first practice with Avangard on Monday, and the defenseman made an early impression by shattering the glass behind the net with his booming slapshot.

And speaking of good first impressions: former Ranger Nikolai Zherdev made one of his own in Mytischi, scoring in his first game with his new teammates on Atlant.  Zherdev scored an insurance goal to make 3-1 with a little over a minute to play in what would eventually be a 4-1 victory over Amur.

P.S. Trish, the photo was just for you. ;)

Comment by laurie 09.22.09 @ 12:05 am

And he has shaved off that beard! Thank God! And Omsk wins 3-1 against AK Bars. See it was the beard:)

Comment by Ruthe 09.22.09 @ 10:38 am

Thanks Laurie, this is what i come here for!

Comment by Spooky 09.22.09 @ 12:49 pm

Not my charming good looks? Witty repartee? Constant pimping of Artem Anismiov?

Sigh. ;)

And Ruthe, not only a win for Avangard, but another goal for Jagr too, no? Or so it says on the stat sheet — I didn’t get to watch.

Comment by laurie 09.22.09 @ 2:06 pm

I watched the highlights. Yes, Jagr scored. Ramo looked sharp in goal.

Comment by Ruthe 09.22.09 @ 3:14 pm

And Laurie, that is why you’re my favorite :)

(seriously though I always enjoy your comments and news — whether it be here or on other sites – you’re a gem!)

Comment by Trish 09.23.09 @ 6:55 am

See Spooky, Trish knows how to charm a lady. You should take notes! ;)

(And thanks, Trish.)

By the way, I updated the schedule pages with a bunch of links to photos and highlights last night. Sorry I’ve been slacking, the season really snuck up on me, and I’m having a hard time getting back into the swing of things!

Comment by laurie 09.23.09 @ 12:18 pm

Sorry Laurie, of course I appreciate your tireless efforts of keeping us informed, your wit and charm. Hows that?! LOL! Seriously though I only come here and HFboards for hockey news. I’ve lost alot of interest in the NHL since all my favorite players are gone. Since Jagr is my favorite I try to keep up with what he’s doing. Thank you so much for helping me do that. So keep the Jagr stuff coming!!!! Thanks again, Spooky.

Comment by Spooky 09.23.09 @ 2:53 pm

Not quite as polished as Trish, but you get points for trying. ;)

And you’re welcome. And thank you. :)

Comment by laurie 09.25.09 @ 12:08 am