Not So Fast: AK Bars Trounces Avangard 11-1 (UPDATED 3/16)
Saturday March 14th 2009, 10:37 am

Avangard Omsk had a chance to wrap up its second upset of the playoffs on home ice on Saturday, but instead the team that had built its playoff run around tight defensive play and good goaltending suffered a complete meltdown, absorbing an embarrassing 11-1 defeat in bloody contest in which Kazan’s Alexei Emelin was carried off the ice following a fight with Omsk’s Alexander Svitov.  The Hawks were never even in this one, having surrendered six goals in the first period alone.  Anton Malishev tipped Jaromir Jagr’s shot from the right circle past Freddy Norenna at 15:47 of the second for Omsk’s only goal, but by them the score was already 9-1 and the game completely out of reach. The series will head back to Kazan for the fifth and deciding game on Monday.

UPDATE 3/16 11:24: The Hawks will be without captain Svitov in today’s deciding match after the league slapped him with a 4-game suspension for his actions in Saturday’s game. Emelin, the player who felt his wrath, was said to have a broken orbital bone and possible concussion.

Scoring:
0:1 05:46 Oleg Petrov (Ilya Nikylin) (PP)
0:2 06:10 Nikita Alexeev (Grigory Panin, Gleb Klimenko)
0:3 07:39 Niko Kapanen (Yukka Hentunen, Evgeny Medvedev)
0:4 12:36 Evgeny Medvedev (Andrew Mukhaev) (PP)
0:5 18:34 Alexei Morozov (Danis Zaripov)
0:6 19:04 Nikata Alekseev (Gleb Klimenko, Dmitry Obukhov)
0:7 25:11 Danis Zaripov (Ilya Nikulin, Tony Mortensson) (PP)
0:8 30:49 Yukka Hentunen (Dmitry Kazionov Niko Kapanen) (PP)
0:9 32:51 Dmitry Obukhov (Nikita Alekseev, Gleb Klimenko) (PP)
1:9 35:47 Anton Malishev (Jaromir Jagr) (PP)
1:10 52:25 Evgeny Medvedev (Tony Mortensson)
1:11 58:20 Tony Mortensson (Danis Zaripov, Alexei Morozov) (PP)

Spartak 4 vs. Lokomotiv 5

Former Rangers prospect Ivan Baranka scored his first of the playoffs at 12:21 of the third period to tie the score at four, but Joseph Vasicek answered back four and a half minutes later to give Lokomotiv Yaroslavl a 5-4 victory over Spartak Moscow.  Loko takes the series in three games and await their next opponent in the semifinal round.

Scoring:
1-0 11:04 Kirill Knyazev (Mikhail Yunkov)
2-0 18:10 Maxim Ribin (Dmitry Upper, Alexander Berkutov)
2-1 20:13 Alexei Mikhnov (Vitaly Anikeenko)
2-2 31:41 Alexander Kalyanin (Nikita Klyukin, Alexei Kurdashov)
2-3 37:06 Alexander Guskov (Konstantin Rudenko, Alexei Vasiliev)
3-3 42.57 Denis Baev (Stefan Ruzicka)
3-4 43:59 Alexei Mikhnov (Alexei Kurdashov)
4-4 52:21 Ivan Baranka (Alexander Drozdetsky, Dmitry Tarasov)
4-5 56:54 Joseph Vasicek (Alexei Mikhnov, Ilya Gorokhov)

Metallurg 3 vs. Atlant 0

Sixth rank Metallurg Magnitogorsk took a 2-1 series lead over Ray Emery’s Atlant Mytishchi with a 3-0 shut out victory at home. Emery stopped 44 of of 47 shots faced and former Rangers prospect Jan Marek had the primary assists on Metallurg’s first two goals. Game four of the best of five series goes Sunday.

Scoring:
1-0 16:40 Yaroslav Kudrna (Jan Marek, Tomas Rolinek)
2-0 28:25 Vladimir Malenkikh (Jan Marek, Tomas Rolinek)
3-0 55:01 Vitaly Atyushov (Tomas Rolinek)

Filed under: Avangard Omsk, KHL

Saturday the 14th was Friday the 13th

HO HO HO GO JAGR GO HO HO HO GO HAWKS GO
    HO HO HO GO JAGR GO HO HO HO GO HAWKS GO
    HO HO HO GO JAGR GO HO HO HO GO HAWKS GO

That Jagr goal in last game was really sthg!!!!!!!
    He’s really quick yet, I can’t see him getting old. Some people never get old, I think Jagr is one of them!!!! *~<:})= I think he still enjoys what he ’s doing.

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.14.09 @ 1:00 pm

Also I just read in one Siberian sports account that over half of the Hawks team has come down with influenza, in all due respect that’s like playing sby who isn’t even there. You ever tried working, with the flu?
    Also I can’t help but notice your Schadenfreude putting this stuff out there, it took you awhile to admit the other day when they won!!!!!!!!!
    DIE PANTHERS DIE DIE PANTHERS DIE DIE PANTHERS DIE DIE PANTHERS DIE DIE PANTHERS DIE DIE PANTHERS DIE

HO HO HO GO JAGR GO HO HO HO GO HAWKS GO
    HO HO HO GO JAGR GO HO HO HO GO HAWKS GO
    HO HO HO GO JAGR GO HO HO HO GO HAWKS GO

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.15.09 @ 9:56 am

Unfortunately, I still have to work for a living, which makes posting between the hours of 8am and 7pm difficult. So forgive me if I’m not able to get info out there fast enough for you, but it sounds like you do just fine finding stuff out on your own.

As for the flu bug, there was no mention of it in any of the game wraps I read. But thanks for the tip.

And for the record, if I were rooting for Avangard to lose, I certainly wouldn’t spend what little free time I have watching or writing about them.

Comment by laurie 03.15.09 @ 6:55 pm

I thought Avangard is part of the Rangers info circle, I thought that’s why you’re writing this stuff. Not out of the goodness of your heart.
    The other day, over a day went by before you posted an account.
    DIE PANTHERS DIE PANTHERS DIE PANTHERS DIE PANTHERS DIE PANTHERS DIE PANTHERS DIE PANTHERS

HO HO HO GO JAGR GO HO HO HO GO HAWKS GO
    HO HO HO GO JAGR GO HO HO HO GO HAWKS GO
    HO HO HO GO JAGR GO HO HO HO GO HAWKS GO

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.15.09 @ 9:30 pm

Avangard lost their Rangers connection when Cherepanov died. I’ve continued to follow them because I’m a fan of Jagr’s and I want something good to come out of the season for the players who had to go through it. And because I know a lot of Jagr fans have come to depend on this site for info about him and the links to watch him play.

I update the site as often as I can. I’m afraid that’s the best I can offer you.

Comment by laurie 03.15.09 @ 11:26 pm

I’m one of those Jagr fans that have come to depend on this site for news about him,and I would like to say thank you Laurie. Thank you vey much!

Comment by Spooky 03.16.09 @ 5:31 am

You’re very welcome Spooky. Thanks for hanging around all season. ;)

Comment by laurie 03.16.09 @ 8:48 pm

I’ve never posted here before, but I’ve often come here to keep up with what’s happening with Jagr and Avangard. I was so happy when I found this blog, and I’ve been so grateful for this source of information. Thank you so much for keeping us informed about Jagr, the team, and Cherepanov. (May he rest in peace.) Hopefully Jagr will find a way to come back to the NHL after this nightmare of a season.

Comment by Just Another Jagr Fan 03.17.09 @ 11:28 am