Jagr Confirms Rumored Edmonton Deal was Real (UPDATED)
Friday March 20th 2009, 5:34 pm

In a story posted on the KHL web site earlier today, Czech legend Jaromir Jagr confirmed that an agreement was in the works that could have seen him finish the NHL season in Edmonton had his current club, Avangard Omsk, not made the playoffs or fallen in a first round sweep. At the same time, Jagr made it clear that he would not break his KHL contract, and that any arrangements for him to play in the NHL next year would need to be negotiated by the his potential NHL club and Avangard.  In other words, any team hoping to add Jagr to their line-up next year had better have some spare cash lying around (and hope NHL HQ allows them to wire it Siberia) because that’s the only scenario by which I can see Avangard surrendering their star.

Jaromir Jagr: I don’t intend to break my contract with Omsk

Although there was speculation about Jagr’s return to the NHL in the final stage of the KHL regular season and during the playoffs, the athlete’s future is tied to Omsk, where he has an active contract for another year, reports [Czech newspaper] SPORT. At the same time, the possibility that Jagr could return to the NHL in an Edmonton uniform really did exist. The management of the Oilers reached an agreement with Avangard that in the event that the Omsk club did not appear in the playoffs or lost their first round series with Salavat Yulaev Ufa by an 0-3 account, the move of Jagr to Canada would take place.

“Yes, there was such an possibility,” said Jagr. “Both clubs discussed how that could have been done. It did not depend on me. If Omsk had asked me to go over to Edmonton, I would have done it. But I myself didn’t want it. After we made it to the playoffs, this subject was no longer relevant.” Jagr also said, that the same approach will be used next season.

“It definitely wouldn’t happen that I’d break the contract with Omsk and leave for America without permission. For that both teams need to come to an agreement between themselves. I won’t do that myself,” the athlete, who has spent 17 seasons in the NHL with Pittsburgh, Washington, and the New York Rangers, said.

UPDATE: Apparently the KHL considered the news that Jagr’s not flying the coop (for now) so important they issued an English version of the press release.  Puck Daddy’s got it for those who are interested.

Filed under: Avangard Omsk, KHL

I really do think he is making the right decision to stay in Omsk, the world economy & with that the Russian economy is going to stabilize again & oil & the funding from that will move up, too.
    I think his team Hawks/Avangard have proven this season that they can whoop aby. That crazy Sat. was out of the ordinary for them,and even the last game was not a convincing win. As a team with all that they had to deal with & so did Jagr, they have really proven their mettle. They’ll be stronger for it next season. I hope they keep Klepish, too.
    BTW some of the game pics were just outstanding. Whoever is doing the camera work is doing a great job. The Russians have good camera techniques, you can really see that in some of the movies, at least the ones I’ve seen.

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.20.09 @ 10:31 pm

i think he would have had to pass through waivers like dubi the isles goalie had to coming from europe. and the waivers would have been all 29 teams other than the signing team. dubi the isles goalie was claimed by Columbus who was ahead of the signing team the isles.

Comment by LI Joe 03.21.09 @ 1:15 am

But wouldn’t Jagr have more of a purpose remaining with Omsk, rather than being one of ? many 60stg goals scorers in the NHL? I mean there isn’t much more that he could teach there or learn? Like, been there done that, 3day old coffee. The RSL is in its beginning stages, he has much to offer them, and his fellow players because he’s been there done that!!!
    And as he was quoted as saying, to the Russian fans hockey/their team is more of a very personal nature,

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.21.09 @ 10:57 am

And at the moment those very towns that he & the Hawks play in are in great economical distress, like Magnitogorsk, is one of the hardest hit places, their steel plant which employs practically everybody & also supplies the town’s there is half way shut down,and in UFA a lot of the workers have not been paid (since last November) or placed on indefinite leave. So hockey to them is kind of a life saver.
    Morally speaking. I think life there can be tough & gritty, but I think bringing the good news of hockey into that/part of that, has just so much more profoundness to it than walking a trail already made.

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.21.09 @ 11:12 am

& also supplies the town’s sole energy there…

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.21.09 @ 11:15 am

LI Joe – If he started the season in Omsk and then came over to the NHL, yes, he would have to pass through waivers. That’s why this rumored deal with Edmonton was said to have included a $7m salary, to make it cost-prohibitive and/or cap-prohibitive to those in front of the Oilers in waiver selection order. It would make no sense for a team that’s already out of the playoffs to spend the cash on him as a rental, and the Oilers were betting that those who had the cash and were still in it, didn’t have the cap space.

Comment by laurie 03.21.09 @ 1:12 pm

Why oh why:
    It sounds like it really wasn’t Jagr’s decision, it was Omsk’s. He said he wanted to stay in Russia, but Omsk made the deal.

Comment by K24 03.21.09 @ 1:43 pm

It sure does, sby slap all the hair outta their ears. He’s not playing for them,anyway, he’s playing for the people.

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.21.09 @ 9:45 pm

laurie – true but all 29 other teams would have a shot ahead of the signing team no matter what the standings showed – as was the case with the isles losing dubi the goalie to a team ahead of them.

and with pro rated salaries fitting him in this yr could have been done by many teams and the claiming team could have figured out over the summer how to fit him in next yr

Comment by LI Joe 03.22.09 @ 10:15 pm

Joe – yeah, you’re right. I have no idea what I was thinking. I don’t know, maybe they’re betting on the “he won’t show up for anyone else” line or something. ;)

Honestly, at this point I’d prefer he just stay in Omsk, play out the season, and decide what comes next once his contract is up in the summer.

Comment by laurie 03.23.09 @ 11:40 am

This season is over, are you talking about 2010 summer, then? Isn’t he going back to Kladno then?
    Anyhow, only Jaromir knows Jaromir,& what he is going to do next.

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.23.09 @ 10:40 pm

PS This has nthg to do with the subject above, but listening during intermission at Sunday’s Pitts/Phill game, am I the only one totally pd off at some of the commentary by foot- in- the- mouth- Mike. Where does he come off taking on the role of goal celebrating policer? That really takes a fat fat ego to assume to be stipulating the manner players are to celebrate their goals, exactly what he was accusing the players of btw (all ego)& then they actually showed footage of previous games where apparently the celebrations weren’t accomodating his taste.

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.23.09 @ 11:14 pm

If correction is needed, shouldn’t it be internally, coach, Gm, owner? Some of the players are actually getting pd off, I hope sby knocks him on his flabby a.. one of these days.
    Or that a player dares to celebrate every goal, after 70 goals, the player has a reason to celebrate according to this guy.
    I think what it is, he is too old. He thinks he’s everybody’s pappi.

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.23.09 @ 11:25 pm

Correction for 3rd comment from top, I meant to write 60 pts.

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 03.29.09 @ 3:12 pm