Wayne Fleming Out in Omsk… For Real This Time
Friday January 30th 2009, 7:32 am

Avangard Omsk head coach Wayne Fleming, who was “benched” for the third period of a game earlier this month amid rumors he’d been fired, is no longer the coach in Omsk.  In a press conference, Fleming stated that the decision was a mutual one between him and the club, wished the team luck, and said he had no regrets about the decision to coach in Russia.  Senior coach Igor Nikulin, who led the team on a 6-game winning streak last fall after the club fired its first coach of the season, has once again been named interim head coach.

At the same press conference, it was announced that Jaromir Jagr, who’s agreed to represent the Czech Republic at the LG games in Sweden next week, has been named captain of the team.  Jagr replaces Alexander Svitov, who was suspended for seven games earlier this week for shoving an official, and will be assisted by Anton Kuryanov and Dmitri Vlasenko.

UPDATE: Nikulin’s luck has run out.  Avangard Omsk gave up three third-period goals against Amur today, losing 5-2.

Filed under: Avangard Omsk

hey laurie, thanks for the great blog as always! i was curious to find out when you think anisimov is going to get around to answering the questions? after reading evgeny grachev’s blog (which i think more prospects should have, it’s a great way to get inside their heads instead of just reading the scoresheet or watching the games), i’m hungry for info about the next russian ranger! it’s my hope that when/if he makes the rangers full time that he’ll wear number 12 like he does when he plays for russia. it’s my lucky number, and my rangers personalized jersey has number 12 so i hope he’ll keep it when asked to pick a new number, surely he wont keep the #42 he’s been using lately? also i’m hoping that when/if sanguinetti makes the big club that he’ll wear #22 as he says he picked to pay tribute to brian leetch. that would be just awesome! keep up the great work!

Comment by Amos 01.30.09 @ 11:14 am

Thanks for the update. I’m sure Fleming will have further interviews with more to say.

Comment by Ruthe 01.30.09 @ 11:59 am

Thanks Amos! I didn’t finish translating all the questions until late on Saturday, by which time he’d been added to the All-Star team and was headed off to Worcester and the All-Star break, which ended yesterday. He just got the questions yesterday and will answer them “soon”.

I think one of the questions sent in was why he wears #42, so maybe we’ll get some insight into whether he’ll keep the number going forward or not in his answers. (There were a lot of questions, and unfortunately not all could be included, and I don’t have the list if which were or weren’t here at work, so I’m not positive that one was sent.)

At the moment, though, Patrick Rissmiller’s got dibs on his old #12, so unless the organization is planning on cutting ties completely with Rissmiller over the summer, you both might be out of luck… ;)

Comment by laurie 01.30.09 @ 12:15 pm

Yeah I was actually bummed when they signed Voros and Rismiller on the same day (they both previously wore #34, previously belonging to Jason Strudwick, who I think this team misses more than it realizes…), I was bummed when I saw Rismiller decide to go with #12 since obviously that’s my lucky number, and I knew that was Anisimov’s number of choice. #42 seems to be serving him well so far, so maybe he’ll keep it, but then again #43 served Callahan well too… I don’t see Rismiller wearing Ranger blue again, but I think they will try to waive him again and then buy-him out next season, so maybe Artie will get his #12. I hope! :)
    Can’t wait to see his responses to the questions, I hope some of mine made it on the list!

Comment by Amos 01.30.09 @ 2:22 pm

Heh heh, I was bummed when they signed Voros and Rissmiller too, but it had little to do with what numbers they would wear and more to do with the fact I thought adding more 3rd-4th line forwards to team that already had more than enough and a handful in Hartford who deserved the shot was stupid. ;)

Comment by laurie 01.30.09 @ 5:51 pm

well that goes without saying… i really thought byers and korpo were going to make the team out of camp but that wasn’t going to happen the moment they signed two relatively useless players to million dollar deals… forget about what it meant for my man petr pruchas ice time. people talk about how much the rangers’ system has improved, which although it has, their development of young players still does leave quite a bit to be desired when they turn a 30 goal scorer into a press box suit model.

Comment by Amos 02.01.09 @ 11:34 pm