A Reporter’s View of Events
Monday October 13th 2008, 10:32 pm

K. Velyakov of Soviet Sport offers his account of the events surrounding Alexei Cherepanov’s collapse in the Moscow suburb of Checkov on Monday night.

Without Breath
The third period comes to an end. On the board is 17:35. Omsk is losing 4:5. The referee suddenly stops play, and everyone goes to the Avangard bench. On it visiting forward Alexei Cherepanov lays on the floor, and the other players and coaches crowd around him. The Vityaz players approach the bench. Hockey has come to an end. The doctor brings ammonium chloride to Cherepanov’s nose, trying to bring him around. It’s useless. Nobody can understand what has happened. For three minutes the doctors work with Alexei. The boy regains consciousness, goes out again.

- “Where’s the ambulance?!” – someone from the Omsk staff shouts.

Someone runs for the ambulance, but it’s not there.

It’s called for. It will only arrive after 15 minutes…

They carry Cherepanov away in their arms. Jaromir Jagr removes his helmet and gloves, runs to the locker room and from it, already without skates, rushes to the medical office, where his teammate lies on the bed without breath. For the Czech, the game has ended.

- “A player sat on the bench and suddenly passed out” – the head coach of Vityaz Sergei Gomolyako’s face is blank. Nobody thinks about the post game press conference now. How terrible!

- “He regained consciousness five times, then lost it again, and then did not did not come to his senses any more” – the TV men who were beside the Omsk bench relate.

Later, five minutes after the end of the game arrives the ambulance. Batteries of the defibrillator appear to be discharged.

- “Damned town!” – the video operator of the Omsk cries. – “How long can one wait for them!”

In the street at the ambulance in his game uniform stands Jagr.

- “He sat next to me and suddenly passed out.” – Jagr says through tears.

- What happened to him?

- “His heart stopped…”

Understanding that he can do nothing to help, the great Czech moves to the side, and, having lowered his head, leans against the wall of the arena.

The doctors put Cherepanov on a stretcher. Try to breathe life into the boy. Perform CPR. It is useless. Blood starts to trickle from Cherepanov’s nose. Two hundred fans surround the ambulance. Everyone is silent. Anton Kuryanov, flying out to the street directly from the shower, can’t hold back tears. In his eyes four hospital attendants enter the ambulance with Alexei on a stretcher. The door is closed. The sirens are turned on. The ambulance speeds away to a Chekhov hospital. The people watching the scene for a long time stand numb at the side of the arena.

Reads like internal bleeding.

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 10.13.08 @ 11:02 pm

Blood from the nose? Sounds like a dissecting aorta suddenly gave way. What a horrible loss for everyone. My sorrow for his family.

Comment by Scavenger 10.13.08 @ 11:08 pm

According to the newspaper, there was no collision with Jagr, which is a lot better for Jagr, he isn’t carrying any guilt.
    I bet he, Cherepanov, died from an enlarged heart, like some athletes suffer from. The great skating pair, Gordeeva & Grinkov were split up, by him collapsing on the ice after practice, & dying. Too bad. Again my condolences.

Comment by Why...Oh why...Why,why 10.14.08 @ 8:54 am

I will keep you in my prayers Alexi.

Comment by Thane 10.14.08 @ 10:13 am

Bleeding from the nose probably reflects poorly performed CPR as opposed to something that caused him to lose consciousness….

Comment by Ted 10.14.08 @ 3:42 pm

I pray for you and your family.

God Bless

Comment by Bill 10.14.08 @ 6:05 pm

[...] and be the best player at the juniors. You can link to that and other stories about the tragedy here. You can also read about how tragic it was for Jagr, who really took Cherepanov under his wing, and [...]

I love the amateur attempts at medical diagnoses – “sounds like a dissecting aorta gave way”. That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. Firstly, the term dissecting is widely known to be a misnomer, a very rare event that occurs alongside an aortic aneurysm. Secondly, how the hell does bleeding from the nose relate in ANY way to an aortic aneurysm, or dissection, for that matter?

I’m sure that he was given aspirin by the physicians, and combined with the traumatic CPR he was receiving, led him to bleed a little from his nose.

Comment by Jeff Finger 10.15.08 @ 11:39 pm

I almost cried reading this. This is one of the saddest things I’ve ever heard.

I hope medical policies change over there.

Comment by Neil 10.16.08 @ 1:10 am

I bout cried too. Lost my brother a couple years ago and I’m pretty sure I know exactly how Jagr feels. Must be unbearable.

Comment by Fish 10.16.08 @ 10:30 am