The Cliff Notes:
- Mike Lee replaced Josh Gratton in the line up while Gratton served a 1 game suspension as the result of a kneeing penalty he took in a knee-on-knee hit with Portland’s Brett Festerling. Festerling was not in the lineup for Portland last night.
- Michael Sauer was hurt on hit in the corner from Portland captain Tyler Bouck and left the ice with assistance, favoring his right knee. He reportedly left the XL Center on crutches last night after the game.
- The first Portland goal was a slapshot from the center point through a screen. Pack goaltender David LeNeveu nearly trapped it between his arm and body, but it trickled through and over the goal line.
- The Pack’s first goal was all Andrew Hutchinson, who got the puck at the right point and skated along the blue line to the left point to open things up a bit. He then skated a few steps in towards the top of the left circle and threw a wrister at the next which Dane Byers deflected on the way in.
- Second Pack goal was the result of lots of hard work. The Pack upped their battle level in the final 5 minutes of the period, and had a number of consecutive shifts during which they kept the puck deep in the Portland zone. Mike Ouellette, who’d come on for Artem Anisimov as the start of a line change, Dane Byers and Alex Bourret all worked the puck down low. It looked like Oullette got the initial shot on goal, and then a battle ensued, with all three getting whacks at it from the slot. Ouellette was finally able to roll it over Pirate goaltender J.S. Aubin.
- Bourret and Anisimov were both hurt in the same shift in the first minute of the 3rd period. It looked like Bourret might have taken a slash on the arm/wrist, as he was obviously cradling it as he left the ice. Anisimov might have just gotten the wind knocked out of him. Bourret went to the locker room with the trainer, but returned about two-thirds of the way through the 3rd and played the rest of the game. Anisimov stayed on the bench, missed a shift, but returned and played the rest of the game.
- Portland’s tying goal was a bit of a softie on LeNeveu’s part — just a floater from the right point, no screen, no traffic. It trickled through him, and another Portland player was there to knock it the rest of the way over the goal line.
- The Pack looked, in the first overtime period in particular, like a team that was just waiting for the winning goal to be scored so they could get off the ice. Shots at one point were somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-2 in favor of the Pirates.
- About halfway through the 2nd OT period Parenteau took an undisciplined slashing penalty (the Pack took too many penalties in general, and could have been called for more than they were). On the ensuing power play, Corey Potter deflected Jason King’s shot on LeNeveu, handcuffing him. He made the save, but left a rebound, which Michal Birner put up over top of him from in close.
- According to Howlings Rangers brass including Glen Sather, Gordie Clarke, and Benoit Allaire were in the house last night. Bad night for the team not to show up. Based on last night’s performance, LeNeveu, Jordan Owens, and maybe Andrew Hutchinson and Mike Ouellette deserve their contracts.
2. Byers (2) (Hutchinson, Parenteau) 3:31
2. Ouellette (1) (Bourret, Byers) 17:50
Korpikoski – Moore – Parenteau
Byers – Anisimov – Bourret
Owens – Ouellette – Jessiman
Fritz – Lee – Pock
Hutchinson – Potter
Taylor – Sauer
Baranka – Sanguinetti
LeNeveu / Wiikman
1. Michal Birner
2. David LeNeveu
3. Jean-Sebastien Aubin
No Comments so far
Leave a comment
Leave a comment